WinHex 10.2 Beta Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

X-Ways Forum » Public Announcements » WinHex 10.2 Beta « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stefan Fleischmann (Admin)
Posted on Tuesday, Dec 11, 2001 - 1:28:   

An early WinHex 10.2 Beta version is now available for download.

The Disk Tools menu has been extended:

* Gather Free Space (previously "Extract Free Space") traverses the currently open logical drive and gathers all unused clusters into a destination file you specify. Useful to examine data fragments from previously existing files that have not been deleted securely. Note: very slow on NTFS drives.

* Gather Slack Space does the same with slack space (=unused bytes at the tail of a cluster chain), for the same purpose. Works with FAT12, FAT16, FAT32, and NTFS.

* Initialize Slack Space overwrites slack space with zero bytes. This may be used in addition to "Initialize Free Space" to securely wipe confidential data on a drive or to minimize the space a compressed disk backup would require.

WinHex cannot access slack space of files that are compressed at the file system level.

* Some minor improvements

Carl Garon
Posted on Friday, Dec 14, 2001 - 2:56:   

What is the meaning of this message: "Strip initial zero bytes from all occurrences of slack spaces?" in the "extract slack space" option?

Posted on Friday, Dec 14, 2001 - 12:43:   

It means that zero bytes at the beginning of slack space (often in the first only partially used sector of the last cluster) will not be gathered in the destination file, but completely omitted. Useful because they usually do not contain any interesting information.

Jon B. Haugdahl
Posted on Saturday, Dec 15, 2001 - 1:16:   

Sir: Tried the latest Beta and the new features work for a floppy but not for a logical C drive. Is it crippled or are there file size limitations? My OS is win98 se.

Carl Garon
Posted on Saturday, Dec 15, 2001 - 3:52:   

I have tried the option with my 2 hard disk and it seem to work well... My OS is Win98 se.
But if you have only 1 hard disk and only one partition on this hard disk you can't create a file on this partition with the "extract slack space" and "extract free space" option... You have to create the file with these option on an other partition.

Posted on Saturday, Dec 15, 2001 - 14:05:   

That's correct.

Mr. Haugdahl, in case this is not the problem you have encountered, could you please elaborate on what kind of error occurs, mention the file system of your C drive, and whether this really applies to all three of the new commands? (via private mail or right here) Many thanks!

Jon B. Haugdahl
Posted on Saturday, Dec 15, 2001 - 19:05:   

Sir: After reading the response from Mr.Garon,
I went back and tried to extract slack space to another drive (my cd-rw) and it worked. I didn't try the other options but I assumed they would work. My computer is a plain vanilla Windows box,
win98 se upgrade and I have a single 4.3gig hd.

I am slightly confused as to why when I initialyze
slack space (droping the first zero bytes) I get a file with 1 byte when I go back and ask for slack space.

Posted on Saturday, Dec 15, 2001 - 19:58:   

The creation of this file was a bug of the "Initialize Slack Space" command, that I have fixed now with 10.2 Beta C. Thanks for reporting back!

Posted on Wednesday, Dec 19, 2001 - 0:43:   

Another powerful data recovery mechanism has been added. Details here.

Posted on Tuesday, Jan 1, 2002 - 14:58:   

With the official release of WinHex 10.2, the beta version is no longer available.
Forum operated by X-Ways Software Technology AG.