|Stefan Fleischmann (Admin)
|Posted on Tuesday, Jun 19, 2001 - 11:31: |
What's new in WinHex 9.9?
* There is a new concept called the "Start Center", a dialog window that is optionally displayed at startup and that allows to quickly open files, disks, and backups as well as recently edited documents.
The Start Center will remember up to 255 documents (15 by default). These may be files, folders, logical drives or physical disks. When opened again, WinHex restores the last cursor position, the scrolling position, and the block (if defined) of each document, unless this option is disabled.
From the Start Center you are also able to access so-called projects. A project consists of one or more documents to edit (files or disks). It remembers the editing positions, the window sizes and positions and some display options. By saving a window constellation as a project you can continue to work in several documents right where you left them, with a single click only.
WinHex will automatically save the window constellation from your last session as a project, too, and can re-create it at startup.
* WinHex now optionally offers several alternative 3D button styles for TrueColor mode.
* Compatibility with Windows XP confirmed. WinHex 9.9 makes use of Windows XP's new visual styles.
* A new template header statement ("fixed_start offset") was introduced that allows for applying a template at a predefined offset rather than at the current cursor position.
* WinHex does not validate filenames in the List File Clusters dialog any more, so you can even type in the names of hidden system files or directories.
* Some minor improvements and bug fixes
Please note that, unfortunately, WinHex cannot re-use your existing configuration file from previous versions this time.
A beta version of WinHex 9.9 is now available here (contains only those files that need to be replaced in an existing WinHex 9.8x installation). Please check it out. Thanks!