WinHex 10.5 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

X-Ways User Forum » Public Announcements » WinHex 10.5 « Previous Next »

Stefan Fleischmann (Admin)
Posted on Sunday, Jun 30, 2002 - 3:48:   

A beta version of WinHex 10.5 is now available here.

What's new in WinHex 10.5 Beta?

* WinHex is now able to list deleted files on an NTFS volume in the disk contents table (not only existing files).

* Besides, WinHex can now list existing and deleted files on an NTFS partition that was opened via the Access button menu of the corresponding physical disk (useful if the volume is not mounted in Windows).

* A problem was fixed (invisible message box buttons) that could occur with large system fonts.

* Some minor improvements and bug fixes.

WinHex 10.5 Beta requires an existing installation of WinHex 10.47.
Posted on Sunday, Jul 14, 2002 - 0:20:   

WinHex 10.5 Beta E:

* In addition to the feature formerly known as "File Retrieval" (data recovery by file type), there is now a command named "File Recovery by Name" in the Disk Tools menu. This encapsulates the data recovery mechanism for FAT-formatted drives previously known from and still accessible via the Access button menu, in an easier to use, yet extended way. You may now limit the recovery to files that match filename patterns you specify, e.g. "*.gif", "John*.jpg", and "Contract v*.doc", and optionally to files that are specifically marked as deleted in the file system. Most important, however, this data recovery feature now also works on NTFS.

* Another display problem - white background of the edit window not being cleared at times - should occur at least less often than before.

Please report errors right here or by e-mail.
Posted on Wednesday, Jul 24, 2002 - 0:23:   

WinHex 10.5 Beta F introduces a new script command "Insert", which functions just as the "Write" command, but in insert mode.
Robert Goto
Posted on Monday, Jul 29, 2002 - 0:00:   

In testing version 10.5 beta F I cannot get it to create a disk contents
table on an NTFS drive. Am I missing something obvious.

Robert Goto
Senior Forensics Technician
Electronic Evidence Discovery Inc
Robert Goto
Posted on Monday, Jul 29, 2002 - 0:01:   

In testing version 10.5 beta F I cannot get it to create a disk contentstable on an NTFS drive when the drive is addressed as a physical device and not as a logical drive letter.
Am I missing something obvious.

Robert Goto
Senior Forensics Technician
Electronic Evidence Discovery Inc
Posted on Monday, Jul 29, 2002 - 1:04:   

In WinHex (and most other Windows programs) a menu item that is grayed out means that the command cannot be applied in the current situation, most often because the currently open and active document window (if any) is inappropriate for this operation.

A disk contents table can only be generated for a logical drive or to a partition opened via the Access button menu of a physical disk, not of an entire physical disk. A physical disk may contain no, one, or any number of file systems, whereas a logical drive/partition contains exactly one. From my point of view, it makes no sense to mix files and directories from different volumes (and thus different file systems) in the same listing. The above feature description (very first posting) indicates as well what the command can be applied to.
Posted on Tuesday, Jul 30, 2002 - 21:23:   

WinHex 10.5 has just been released. The beta version is no longer available.
Forum operated by X-Ways Software Technology AG.