Security: Permanent Erasure
95/98/Me/NT/2000/XP/Vista/7/8 (for limitations see program help)
The shredder for the
digital age. To protect your organization's confidential data or your personal privacy,
trust on X-Ways Security as a hard drive cleansing solution. To maximize security, X-Ways
Security offers up to 9 fully configurable overwrite passes and the U.S. Department of
Defense (DoD) standard for hard drive sanitization as specified in the 5220.22-M operating
- Delete selected confidential files securely, such that they are not
- Wipe free drive space and clear slack space, to get rid of sensitive data
from deleted files, esp. temporary files.
- Clean formerly used NTFS file records, which contain filenames and other
- Erase logical drives or entire physical disks completely and
irreversibly, e.g. to produce forensically clean target media or to sanitize media before
re-use in a different environment of before donating.
- Trusted download: copy files from classified media without slack space
Incorporates the shredding technology introduced with
and known from WinHex and concentrates on ease of
use. Other available languages: . The
demo version can only delete files up to 200 KB.
Minor update released in December 2012, after 7 1/2 years,
for use under Windows Vista and later and to support large hard disks.
Normal deletion only marks
your files as deleted in the file system. The data remains on the disk and
will be actually erased only when the same disk sectors are overwritten with new data.
X-Ways Security erases
securely, such that even most sophisticated laboratory technology cannot recover any
traces of your data any more. X-Ways Security can be run directly from a floppy disk or